Friday, July 3, 2009

Honing the Craft

So far, I haven't had much success - which is to say none - with my query letters. This has given me some cause for pause...

Deep down, I suppose I’ve always held the secret wish that my first novel would be incredibly well received. After I finished my first draft, I had wonderful visions of my manuscript being carefully read, page by page inside of some smoky editor’s office. Yes, my work alone would have the power to restore the jaded publisher’s love for the written word. “My god,” they’d gasp after finishing the last page of my masterpiece, “This is why I got into the fucking business in the first place!” It’d sell in the millions and I’d finally be able to pay to have the leaks in my roof fixed. My life would become a dream-like existence of high-def televisions and name-brand breakfast cereal. Shit was going to be tight.

But then there’s reality.

The truth is, most authors don’t hit it out of the park the first time around, and I’m absolutely no exception. Jim Butcher writes about how the published version of his first Dresden novel was really more like the fifth complete revision. He’s just one of many that aren’t afraid to say that writing is as much an evolving skill as anything else. In the years that I’ve been taking writing seriously, I can look back and see a definite progression in my work. But still, I have a lot to learn.

I was recently fortunate enough to have a professional critique my manuscript. An opportunity that most beginning writers such as myself would give money, blood and reproductive organs to receive. Through fate, kismet, and an overwhelming kindness on the part of the The Professional, I found myself in this position. Overall, they told me that while I am a good writer, that while I write dialogue and action well, and while parts of the novel really do shine… It’s not quite ready for publishing. They recognized that their opinion is exactly that, an opinion. But when it comes from a person who knows the industry, I’d be stupid not to listen.

I received some specific advice on what I could do to tighten up the manuscript, exercises that will help me determine what will and won’t work for readers and publishers alike. For the most part, the biggest issue in the piece right now comes from classic beginner’s mistakes: Introductions that last too long, scenes that don’t serve enough of a purpose, etc. The best advice I was given: Don’t be discouraged, keep at it.

I’m very excited to begin a new chapter in my development as a writer. I’ve gotten my hands on several different writing texts and I’ve made myself a schedule of books to read and analyze. I’ve also set several writing goals for myself – practice, practice, practice as they say. When I’m ready, I’ll come back to The Red with a blue pencil and start making a better novel out of the one I’ve already written. For now, it's going to take a little rest while I gain some perspective.

One day, you may still see this asshole in print. It just won't be today. :)

No comments: