Thursday, June 21, 2012

Back Again


My last blog post was...  Wow.  Over two years ago.  Well, I didn't exactly abandon a rabid fan-base thirsty for more of my wisdom, so I'm thinking it's a "no harm - no foul" situation.

Why has it been so long?  So glad you asked.  Okay, no one did, but that's aside from the point.

As a writer, I don't feel as though I'm anywhere near a point in my career where I can dole out advice to others on those common writer topics like how to write a captivating query, or story creation, craft, etc.  It felt very disingenuous, and I had an issue with pursuing a blog from that angle.

I recently published my first novel, which I had written over three years ago now.  I didn't get picked up by a major publishing house, or a big shot agent as I had hoped I would.  I've actually got a pretty impressive stack of rejection letters from agents.  Most are form letters, some are simple "thanks but no thanks" scrawled on the top of my original query to them.

But some weren't rejections.  I lived for those moments, man.  When I got a letter or an email (I really like it when an agent uses email - I think it's better for everyone involved) and that letter said something like, "Hey, you've got me interested.  Send me some chapters."  Now, that's the cat's pajamas.

Unfortunately, none of those chapters convinced the agents that they could carry my novel.  I did get a couple of notes back, which I valued highly.  Because as anyone who's been through this process knows, personal feedback is rarer than gold.  At any rate, they said that while they liked my work, they wouldn't be able to sell it.

I get that.  I'm not saying I like it, but I get it.  We have to keep an eye on what's going to earn our next meal, right?  Hey, I don't go to work every day because I'm in love with my job.  Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for it and I appreciate it.  But, if I won the lottery today, I wouldn't be showing up tomorrow, you dig?

You know what I would still do even after winning all that money?  I'm sure it's obvious.  I'd write.  I'd tell stories.  Because, that's what I love doing.

Which brings me back to the blog - I'm okay with posting again.  I want to come at it from a different angle, though.  I'm going to post about trying to sell books.  About bullshit writing contests and trying to get your name out there.  About fretting over query letters and secretly hating anyone who gets published because they wrote ANOTHER GODDAMN VAMPIRE STORY.

I guess the best way to say it, is that I'm going to post about the journey instead of trying to pretend I've made it to the destination.  You're welcome to read, and I welcome your comments.

Except from trolls.  Trolls can go fuck themselves.  You know who you are.  Y'all should be ashamed.

No comments: